Axis & Allies has gone through many variations since its introduction in 1981.
- Axis & Allies: Classic (AA1, AA2, AA3) is released by Milton Bradley as part of the Gamemaster Series. The game underwent a series of relatively minor adjustments and was re-released several times.
- Axis & Allies: Iron Blitz computer game (IB) is released. It uses the rules of AA3 but adds destroyers and marines and a series of optional rules.
- Axis & Allies: Revised (AAR) is released.
- Axis & Allies: D-Day (AAD) is released.
- Axis & Allies: RTS is released.
- Axis & Allies 50th Anniversary Edition (AA50) is released. Numerous rules changes are made in an effort to make the game more historical; notably, National Objectives are added. There are separate 1941 and 1942 scenarios.
- Axis & Allies 1942 (AA42) is released. 1942 sees a variety of minor changes, "updating" the previously Revised setup and including much in the way of AA50's rules.
- Axis & Allies Pacific 1940 (AAP40) is released. Uses Anniversary rules adjusted for the Pacific Theater.
- Axis & Allies Europe 1940 (AAE40) is released. It is able to combine with the Pacific 1940 map, making Axis & Allies Global 1940 (AAG40) available for play.